Saturday, March 15, 2008

From SFGate

Steve-O Blogs from Psych Ward

Troubled "Jackass" star Steve-O has written a message to fans on his MySpace page from the psychiatric ward of a Los Angeles hospital.

The stuntman reveals pals including former "Jackass" co-star Johnny Knoxville "physically forced" him to seek help for his mental issues, including bipolar disorder that had left him suffering "high highs and extremely low lows."

After being taken to L.A.'s Thalian Mental Health Center, Steve-O was transferred to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he has been placed on a 14-day hold, while medics observe his condition and behavior.

In his blog post -- entitled "You Should All Know I'm in the Looney Bin" -- Steve-O blames his condition on the lasting side effects of years of abusing drugs. He also apologizes for the damage his behavior has caused to loved ones.

The 33-year-old writes, "Before the day when Johnny Knoxville, Jeff Tremaine, Big Regg, Swizz, Rick Kosick, Dimitry Elyaschevich, Cordell Mansfield, and Trip Taylor came to my home and, physically, forced me into the hospital, I had thought of 'bipolar' as a 'good' thing. I rationally deduced that, with our time in this life being so limited, it was productive to stick to nothing but extremely high 'highs,' and extremely low 'lows.'

"I figured that, since I am an extraordinarily 'tough' individual, I could handle it.

"After four days in a psychiatric ward ... I am no longer '5150-status' (which was the three-day 'hold' on me, resulting from suicidal behavior). I am now '5250-status' (which means that the 'hold' has been extended to 14 days, for the exact same reasons).

"I'm not getting out of this 'insane asylum' any time in the immediate future, so, I'm going to learn as much from the experience as possible. So far, I've figured out that I did a great deal of damage to my brain by abusing drugs and, now that they've all worn off, I'm facing the consequences."

*ummm....duh?*

No comments: